Getting your baby to sleep will be one of the most challenging things that parents face. Many times parents wonder if their baby would ever sleep through the night or at least sleep comfortably. They are some tips that can help parents teach their babies to get a better night's sleep.
Babies in the early stages of their lives can be taught to distinguish between night and day and this can help them establish better sleeping habits.
When your baby is a few weeks old teach them the differences between morning, nap time, and bed time. During the course of the day, make sure that you play with your child, feeding them and talking to them. During the night, keep the lights low, and limit the amount of noise and voices that your child is exposed to. When your baby is between one to two months, put them to bed as soon as they begin to show signs of being tired.
During the Day
You have to make sure that when baby naps during the day it is different from sleeping at night. During naps let the baby sleep in a portable crib or bassinet. The room should not be left completely dark. This way they begin to recognize what constitutes naps from bed time.
Newborn babies will sleep an average of sixteen to eighteen hours a day, babies need plenty of rest. In order to try and get your child into a step by step routine to establish bed time, you should try and do the following to settle them down for the night.
- First you should try and give baby a bath or at least wash her or his hands. This will give them a soothing feeling and help them to relax.
- Change the baby's diaper and put on his or her pajamas, this will give them indication that it is time for bed.
- You can sing softly to the baby or play low music. This will allow baby to hear a familiar voice and recognize the voice before drifting off to sleep. Again this provides a comfortable surrounding for the baby and knowledge that they are not being left alone.
- You should put your baby in your arms and rock them before you lay him or her down to sleep. Don't prolong the situation make it short, put them into their crib while they are still awake and leave the room.
Things to Avoid
They are some things you should avoid doing before putting baby down for bedtime:
- Don't put cereal in his or her bottle at night, it gives them a feeling of being full and does not allow them to sleep comfortable. They might have problems digesting the food while sleeping, leading to an upset stomach.
- Don't let the baby fall asleep with a bottle or while nursing, before going to bed. This will get them into the bad habit of expecting you to feed them when they are awake, so that they may go back to sleep.
While no two babies are the same, the important thing to remember is that promoting a consistent sleep routine will help your baby fall asleep faster and will eventually sleep through the night. By following these routines, the baby will begin to understand that going to sleep does not mean that mommy or daddy is leaving them, but putting them to bed for the night. It will also help to establish a pattern for when they get older, hopefully, making it easier for them to continue to sleep on their own.
source from http://www.babycarehelp.com